- a type of writing task, requiring different sections depending on the task requirements
- it may be a ‘response’ to a concept, or an article, or more than one article
- at REW, it requires only two sections: Summary and Discussion
Why is it useful?
- It requires the highly valued academic skills of summarising and critical thought.
- It requires the ability to develop a clear and logical ‘academic argument’, which is extremely important for university and beyond.
- It is a relatively flexible genre, which is both challenging and useful for international students in terms of preparing them for university.